On June 23, a controversial external event took place on the Vancouver campus.
This event significantly affected many lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two-spirit, intersex, asexual, and allied (LGBTQ2SIA+) community members at UBC.
As a university, we are deeply committed to building a more inclusive campus community. For more information on this matter, please review the recent statement issued by the UBC President, Professor Santa Ono.
For those affected by this event, the following resources and services are available at UBC in terms of support.
- UBC Counselling Services (for UBC students)
- UBC Empower Me (for UBC students enrolled in AMS/GSS plan)
- UBC Employee and Family Assistance Program (for UBC faculty and staff)
- UBC Human Rights Advisor
If you are concerned about your physical safety, please reach out to UBC Campus Security.
In addition to UBC resources, the following campus groups, networks, and initiatives provide LGBTQ2SIA+ community members opportunities to create connections, support, and take up space.
- UBC Pride Collective: The Pride Collective is an AMS resource group that offers educational and social services dealing with sexual and gender diversity to the UBC community, including but not limited to students, staff, and faculty.
- Faculty and Staff Pride Convergence: A community gathering that seeks to build and sustain LGBT2SQIA+ networks and visibility, and supports university’s efforts to foster Positive Space to build a more inclusive campus community.
- Positive Space campaign is a campus-wide initiative intended to raise awareness and visibility of lesbian, gay, bisexual, two-spirit, trans and queer students, staff, faculty, alumni and allies at UBC.
Learn more about gender diversity.
If you are looking for additional counselling support, the following community-based counsellors have been identified for their practice with queer and trans communities and their intersectional analysis, and were briefed by members of the Equity & Inclusion Office:
Lu Lam, MEd, CCC
Phone: 778 829 8959
Sacha Médiné, MC, RCC
Phone: 778 318 8084
Tania Zulkoskey, MSW, CRSW
Phone: 604 771 8647