An initiative designed for and by Indigenous, Black, and People of Colour at UBC – the traditional, ancestral and unceded territory of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam) people.
IBPOC Connections: Staff & Faculty strives to enhance the experiences and outcomes of faculty and staff who identify as Indigenous, Black and/or People of Colour at UBC.
As a convening space, IBPOC Connections is about community, belonging, and engagement. It is a space where IBPOC faculty and staff can come together to be in good company, to have candid conversations, and to collaborate and coordinate when appropriate.
As an initiative, IBPOC Connections centres the experiences of IBPOC identities in systems and processes that foster leadership development, recruitment/retention/success, capacity building, and mentorship.
Stay tuned to learn more about the overarching goals for the initiative and draft framework for IBPOC Connections.
Held quarterly, the IBPOC Connections: Staff & Faculty lunch is a unique and intentional space to build community and create a space of belonging for IBPOC faculty and staff at UBC Vancouver.
“[IBPOC Connections] is a site and time for faculty and staff who self identify as Indigenous, Black, and/or People of Colour at UBC to build community: to congregate with conviviality, to network, to share stories…” – Handel Wright
May 12, 2020 (Stay tuned for registration link)
The Coffee Club provides the opportunity for IBPOC groups and communities – who are already in existence or in formation – to come together around special interests. These communities may be formed around institutional spaces (e.g. academic or administrative units), sociocultural identities (e.g. Indigenous, Black, African) and/or key topics (e.g. emotional labour, mentorship).
If you are interested in organizing get-togethers with colleagues in ways that may contribute to enhancing your experiences and/or outcomes as an IBPOC faculty or staff, we would like to support you with seed funding. Please complete the IBPOC Coffee Club funding form.
- Ainsley Carry - Vice President, Students
- Aftab Erfan - Director, Dialogue & Conflict Engagement, Equity & Inclusion Office
- Patty Hambler – Director, Health Promotion & Education, Student Health and Wellbeing
- Pooja Khandelwal – Director, Career Retention, Navigation & Transition, Human Resources
- Minelle Mahtani - Associate Professor, Institute for Social Justice and Senior Advisor to the Provost on Racialized Faculty
- Maryam Nabavi - Strategist, Equity & Inclusion Office
- Shirley Nakata – Ombudsperson for Students
- Joenita Paulrajan – Program Leader, Extended Learning
- Amy Perreault - Senior Strategist, Indigenous Initiatives, CTLT
- Ismaël Traoré – Engagement Advisor, Centre for Community Engaged Learning
- Handel Kashope Wright - Professor, Educational Studies
- Henry Yu - Associate Professor, History and Principal, St. John’s College
Equity & Inclusion Office Support
- Elsie Achugbue - Manager, Planning & Evaluation
- Elydah Joyce - Graduate Research Assistant
Contact Dr. Maryam Nabavi at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-822-4344.