The Equity Student Advisory Council (ESAC) provides a forum for diverse student leaders to share their voice and collaboratively inform Equity & Inclusion Office policies, decisions, and practices.
ESAC seeks to build bridges with the student community, provides a primary source of consultation on EIO’s efforts that impact the student community, and helps identify barriers to education and campus participation for equity seeking groups.
In particular, ESAC is focused on:
- Working collaboratively with EIO staff to develop one to three priority actions or projects each year to address issues of equity, justice, and inclusion
- Providing feedback on EIO practices, policies, and actions that affect students
- Influencing equity-enhancing decisions from EIO campus partners that promote the social, political, cultural, and mental wellbeing of UBC’s student population
- Taking a leadership role in grant making and allocation of the Equity Enhancement Fund
- Work collaboratively with EIO staff to develop one to three priority initiatives each year to address issues of equity, justice, and inclusion;
- Provide feedback on EIO practices, policies, and actions that affect students;
- Influence equity-enhancing decisions from EIO campus partners that promote the social, political, cultural, and mental wellbeing of UBC’s student population;
- Take a leadership role in grant making and allocation of the Equity Enhancement Fund.
- Gain skills in project management, policy development, and grant-making;
- Influence policy and practice that impact equity and inclusion issues at UBC;
- Receive financial support from the EIO to participate in at least one equity-related conference or workshop professional development opportunity per year;
- Enhance leadership, team-building, and collaborative decision-making skills;
- Develop a greater understanding of and participation in training on issues of justice, equity, and inclusion;
- Make new friends with shared values, gain opportunities to respectfully engage with peers who hold different opinions from their own, build connections and partnerships with other student groups, and become better connected to the UBC community;
- Connect with UBC staff and faculty working on issues of justice, equity, and inclusion.
- Knowledge of and willingness to learn about issues relating to equity, diversity, inclusion, intersecting oppressions, and other social justice issues;
- Have the ability to handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion;
- Committed to and enthusiastic about ongoing learning;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting;
- Organized and able to manage competing priorities;
- Proven ability to take initiative;
- Good written and verbal communication skills;
- Previous experience in student engagement with student clubs/campus group that are underrepresented, marginalized, and/or working equity initiatives will be a strong asset.
- Have a demonstrated commitment to upholding values of equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Participate in an orientation during the weekend of January 9th and January 10th
- Attend weekly meetings on Fridays from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM PST
- Work in a collaborative and supportive role alongside fellow members of the ESAC and EIO staff
ESAC is currently accepting applications for 2021. Apply now.