Gender Markers

During their time at UBC, students, faculty or staff may change their legal gender marker.

Currently the Student Information Systems only supports binary options for gender markers: F or M. Students can have their gender marker updated regardless of what appears on their government-issued identification, with no need for other supporting information.

Steps for students to update their gender marker, as well as implications for requesting this change, are outlined on the UBC Vancouver Student Services website.

If non-binary students do not want to select either of the current options, staff can support them in doing so. If the student wants to reflect their non-binary identity in the system, this can be recorded in the “Notes” section of the system. This is also where non-binary pronouns (e.g., they/them) can be recorded.

If the student lives in a UBC-managed residence, they must contact Student Housing and Hospitality Services (SHHS) separately to update their housing record.

Some staff and faculty at UBC can see a student’s gender marker. For example, class lists often include gender marker as well as the student’s name (legal and preferred) and their most recent photo taken for their UBCcard.

Misunderstandings may arise if staff and faculty perceive a discrepancy between a student’s name, gender marker, and/or photo. For example, student cards are often used to verify identity at examinations and other University services.

As a staff or faculty, you can help organize training sessions like “What’s In a Name, What’s in a System” or “Positive Space” to ensure colleagues in your unit are being mindful about their assumptions when interactions with students.

Staff, faculty, or students can update their UBCcard with a more recent photo at this link. Fees may apply.