Join us for a coffee and chat as we discuss all matters equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI). The new Equity & Inclusion Coffee Hour provides an open space for all UBC community members:
- to connect with each other and the Equity & Inclusion Office staff;
- to engage in dialogue and exchange ideas and experiences across a range topics and areas of expertise related to equity, diversity, and inclusion;
- to learn about the EIO, related initiatives, and get their questions answered; or
- to explore ways to take action to build a more inclusive UBC.
The EIO Coffee Hour is neither a workshop nor an individual consultation session. It is an open conversation session driven by participants’ questions and interests. The types of questions and interests you could bring to a session include but are not limited to:
- Capacity building opportunities and resources (e.g., What kinds of workshops and resources are available to learn about gender diversity? How can I learn more about anti-racist teaching strategies?)
- Organizational change strategies and tools (e.g., What support and resources can my department have from the EIO to implement the Inclusion Action Plan? How can my office make our hiring practices more inclusive and equitable?)
- Human Rights and conflict engagement (e.g., What kinds of concerns can I bring to Human Rights advising at the EIO? What support and resources are available for intervening in a conflict or facilitating a difficult conversation?)
- Community engagement and community building (e.g., How does the EIO support my identity groups, such as IBPOC, 2SLGBTQIA+? How can I engage others around EDI work at UBC?)
In addition to these regular coffee hour sessions, the Coffee Hour may host special topic sessions involving guests.
Please note that the EIO Coffee Hour is not a space to discuss specific cases of interpersonal conflicts or human rights concerns. If you are looking for an individual consultation on those matters, visit Human Rights Advising and Conflict Engagement Advising pages.