The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Action Network is a space for connection, shared learning, and development for students, staff and faculty working to advance EDI initiatives at UBC.
The EDI Action Network aims to build capacity of UBC community members in support of changes that promote EDI in their units and departments. Through events and information exchanges, the network engages those advancing EDI initiatives across the university.
In 2021, there will be two EDI Action Network events, a pilot gathering in May and a larger event in fall.
UBC’s EDI Action Network is organized and supported by the Equity & Inclusion Office.
Benefits to Participation
Network participants will benefit from:
- practical tools, frameworks, and ideas to support unit- and department-level EDI initiatives;
- increased connections with colleagues working on similar initiatives across UBC;
- opportunities to expand the impact of their EDI initiatives through identifying areas of synergy with institutional priorities and directions.
Who Can Join
EDI Action Network events are open to those who are:
- Working to advance an EDI initiative at UBC, including for example, creating an EDI strategy or plan or developing or changing existing programming with an EDI lens. The initiative may be within your immediate unit or connected to a broader effort such as a cross-portfolio working group or identity-based affinity group.
- In a position to influence the work of your EDI initiative including but not necessarily in a formal leadership role.
- Engaged in the continuous process of deepening your learning about EDI and your personal relationship to issues of power, privilege, and marginalization. This type of individual learning is essential to our ability to effectively navigate EDI change efforts, but is not the focus of the EDI Action Network. As a result, we expect members to find opportunities for this learning, either through lived experience or from experts and programs with that explicit focus (for example courses, workshops, discussion groups, and readings).
Want to be added to our distribution list?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with subscribe EDI-NETWORK in the email body. When you receive a confirmation email, click on “confirm subscription”.
More Ways to Get Involved
Join our digital community
Sign up for the monthly InclusiveUBC newsletter or follow us on social at @ubcequity.