The Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Action Network is a space for connection, shared learning, and development for staff, faculty, and students working to advance EDI initiatives at UBC.
The EDI Action Network aims to build capacity of UBC community members in support of changes that promote EDI in their units and departments. Through events and information exchanges, the network engages those advancing EDI initiatives across the university. Explore case studies of EDI initiatives that different units have implemented.
The Network convenes twice a year in spring and fall, and on a Microsoft Teams channel.
UBC’s EDI Action Network is organized and supported by the Equity & Inclusion Office.
Benefits to Participation
Network participants will benefit from:
- practical tools, frameworks, and ideas to support unit- and department-level EDI initiatives;
- increased connections with colleagues working on similar initiatives across UBC;
- opportunities to expand the impact of their EDI initiatives through identifying areas of synergy with institutional priorities and directions.
Who Can Join
EDI Action Network events are open to those who are:
- Working to advance an EDI initiative at UBC, including for example, creating an EDI strategy or plan or developing or changing existing programming with an EDI lens. The initiative may be within your immediate unit or connected to a broader effort such as a cross-portfolio working group or identity-based affinity group.
- In a position to influence the work of your EDI initiative including but not necessarily in a formal leadership role.
- Engaged in the continuous process of deepening your learning about EDI and your personal relationship to issues of power, privilege, and marginalization. This type of individual learning is essential to our ability to effectively navigate EDI change efforts, but is not the focus of the EDI Action Network. As a result, we expect members to find opportunities for this learning, either through lived experience or from experts and programs with that explicit focus (for example courses, workshops, discussion groups, and readings).
Want to be added to our distribution list?
Send an email to email@example.com with subscribe EDI-NETWORK in the email body. When you receive a confirmation email, click on “confirm subscription”.
Location: Online via Zoom
Location: Online via Zoom
The inaugural event of the EDI Action Network was held May 26, 2021, online via Zoom. View the report for a summary of the event and participant feedback.
The second meeting of the EDI Action Network was held on October 26, 2021, online via Zoom. To read a summary of the event and participant feedback, view the report here.
The third virtual gathering of the EDI Action Network featured a panel discussion on key lessons learned in implementing departmental EDI initiatives and highlighted a tool for balancing tensions and paradoxes in EDI planning and action. To read a summary of the event and participant feedback, view the report here.
The fourth virtual gathering of the EDI Action Network featured an update on UBC’s Strategic Equity and Anti-racism (StEAR) Framework, along with the customary panel on key factors supporting the success of unit- and department-level EDI initiatives. To read a summary of the event and participants feedback, view the report here.
The fifth virtual gathering of the EDI Action Network featured an update on UBC’s Strategic Equity and Anti-racism (StEAR) Framework and implications for unit-level EDI initiatives, along with a panel of four case studies of unit and department-level EDI initiatives. To read a summary of the event and participants feedback, view the report here.
More Ways to Get Involved
Join our digital community
Sign up for the monthly InclusiveUBC newsletter or follow us on social at @ubcequity.