Our experienced Equity & Inclusion Facilitators offer workshops for students, staff, faculty and representatives from unions, employee associations, departmental equity committees and the wider community.
Our education and training programming aims to promote and sustain respectful learning and working environments to the campus at large.
When training is requested, the following minimal information is required:
- Name, department, faculty or group and contact information of person requesting the session
- Type of presentation or workshop desired (e.g. Equity Issues and Human Rights at UBC, Cultural Diversity…)
- Length of presentation required
- Proposed date, time and location of workshop or presentation
- Audience/participants — who are they and how many are expected?
An Equity Facilitator will be in touch after the request is confirmed to obtain additional information in order to customize the session.
The Equity & Inclusion Office is responsible for:
- Providing equity facilitators for the presentation
- Notification to department/group of training support requirements
- Creation and delivery of the content of the workshop or presentation
- Provision of any handouts or overheads
The person or department requesting a session is responsible for:
- Publicity of the workshop
- Enrolment of participants
- Room set-up, stationery supplies and AV requirements, as requested by the Equity & Inclusion Office
- Introduction of, or provision of a designate to introduce, the session
- Refreshments, if desired
- Rescheduling of the session if the minimum enrolment is not met
What our educational programming participants have to say:
- Nice, open discussion. Facilitation was refreshingly honest.
- It was very encouraging to see there are more resources than we might expect/know. Thank you!
- I really liked the inclusive environment and respect between peers and leaders. There was also a great judgement-free environment.
- I feel like this is such an important and complex topic that calls for more reflection and education on my part. This was a great start!
- I appreciated that [the workshop facilitator] was upfront about not being an expert and didn’t let us get too caught up in the terminology but rather the idea of respect, non-assumption, and privilege-checking.
Request a Custom Workshop or Training
We are currently not able to accommodate requests for a summer workshop and are considering requests for the fall.
To request a custom workshop or training, please complete our online request form and select Custom Workshop from the drop-down selection menu.