Come together in community with other IBPOC faculty, staff and postdoctoral fellows to create joy and play at the IBPOC Connections faculty & staff lunch.
Co-hosted with St. John’s College, the focus of this lunch is creativity and connection. Enjoy a pan-Asian menu while networking with colleagues and engaging in arts and crafts activities. You will also have the opportunity to hear a slam poetry performance from Pablo Beimler, participate in a short salsa dancing class from Natalie Armendariz and win a door prize!
*Please note we use Eventbrite for ticket purchases, if you prefer to pay cash for your ticket, you may do so by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and then pay cash, with the exact change, at the St. John’s College Administration Office located at 2111 Lower Mall. The office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm and 2:00 pm to 4:30 pm. You may also use this method to pay what you can.
- Dr. Arig al Shaibah, Associate Vice-President, Equity and Inclusion, Equity & Inclusion Office
- Dr. Henry Yu, Principal, St. John’s College
- Pablo Akira Beimler, Co-Senior Project Manager, UBC Climate Emergency
- Natalie Armendariz, Associate International Student Recruiter and Advisor, International Student Initiative
- Aisha Sallad, Global Engagement Associate Advisor, Go Global
What to expect
- Enjoy a lunch prepared by St. John’s College’s culinary team drawn from their pan-Asian menu
- Hear brief remarks from Dr. Arig al Shaibah and Dr. Henry Yu on the importance of joy
- Listen to a special slam poetry performance from Pablo Akira Beimler about climate hope
- Get moving with a brief salsa lesson from Natalie Armendariz and Aisha Sallad
- Build community and connect with other IBPOC faculty, staff and postdoctoral fellows at UBC
- Enjoy simple arts and crafts activities, including origami and coloring
- Win a door prize!
Who can join
UBC faculty, staff, postdoctoral fellows and graduate students employed as staff who identify as Indigenous, Black, People of Colour and/or racialized are welcome.
Equity & Inclusion Strategist
Events & Communications Coordinator