Advancing UBC’s commitments to inclusion involves a multi-level and collaborative effort across the university. The following leadership roles and governance bodies help lead and inform inclusion initiatives at UBC.
Vice Presidential Strategic Implementation Committee for Equity and Diversity (VPSICED)
The Strategic Implementation Committee for Equity and Diversity provides advice and recommendations on actions and implementation to a Vice Presidential Oversight Group (VPOG) which includes the Provost and Vice President, Academic; the Vice President, Human Resources; the Vice President, Students; and the Deputy Vice Chancellor for the Okanagan Campus.
Race and Leadership Working Group
A standing committee of the VPSICED, the Race and Leadership Working Group works to identify systemic barriers that may impede the success and wellbeing of UBC’s racialized faculty and staff, and makes recommendations designed to remove such barriers and enhance institutional accountability.
Religious, Spiritual, Cultural Observance Working Group
Reporting into the VPSICED, this working group will provide an options analysis related to how UBC will proceed with accommodating religious, cultural, spiritual observance for students, faculty and staff.
Trans, Two-Spirit, and Gender Diversity Task Force
Trans, Two-Spirit, and Gender Diversity task force will provide strategic direction to UBC’s senior leadership in the area of gender identity, gender expression and human rights.
Associate Vice-President, Equity & Inclusion
- Margaret Moss, UBC Equity & Inclusion Office
Senior Advisor to the President on Indigenous Affairs
- Sheryl Lightfoot, Faculty of Arts
Senior Advisor to the Provost on Racialized Faculty
Senior Advisor to the Provost on Women and Gender Diverse Faculty
- Naznin Virji-Babul, Faculty of Medicine
Faculty Equity Leads
- Sarah Gergel, Faculty of Forestry
- Sandy Liu, Faculty of Medicine
- Maria Hubinette, Faculty of Medicine
- Sheryl Staub-French, Faculty of Applied Science
- Ninan Abraham, Faculty of Science
- Baohua Wang, Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Brent Page, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Katriona MacDonald, Sauder School of Business
- Kai Li, Sauder School of Business
- Mary Bryson, Faculty of Education
- Rehana Bacchus, Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Janice Stewart, Faculty of Arts
- Gillian Creese, Faculty of Arts
- Gordon Christie, Allard School of Law