The Strategic Implementation Committee for Equity and Diversity provides advice and recommendations on actions and implementation to a Vice Presidential Oversight Group (VPOG) which includes the Provost and Vice President, Academic; the Vice President, Human Resources; the Vice President, Students; and the Deputy Vice Chancellor for the Okanagan Campus. The VPOG use this advice to enhance the implementation of the Equity and Inclusion Strategic Plan through their portfolios.
The committee focuses on providing advice and recommendations with respect to:
- Identification of priorities and resource commitments pertaining to the needs of students and employees;
- Implementation of and approach to substantive equity issues in the campus climate
- Assessment and monitoring of progress against the strategic initiatives outlined in reports and plans such as Valuing Difference: A Strategy for Advancing Equity and Diversity at UBC, Renewing Our Commitment to Equity and Diversity: UBC’s response to the Task Force Recommendations or other strategies, reports or plans related to equity and inclusion.
- Provide input and/or advice to the Office of the University Counsel in relation to the creation or revision of policies of the UBC Board of Governors related to equity and diversity.
- Form advisory tables and working groups specific to strategic initiatives as established by reports and plans such as Valuing Difference and Renewing our Commitment to Equity & Diversity
The Committee will meet 5-6 times per year with at least one meeting chaired from UBC-O. The committee will be chaired by the AVP with a Vice Chair appointed from the existing membership by the lead Vice President.
Members will normally serve for a two-year term, renewable. Quorum will require the attendance of the lead Vice President (or designate), the Associate Vice President and at least half of the Working Group chairs.
For the membership terms of reference please click here.
- Sara-Jane Finlay, Associate Vice President, Equity and Inclusion (UBCV)
- Jude Tate, Director, Equity and Inclusion (UBCV)
- Lisa Castle, Vice President, Human Resources (UBCV)
- Linda McKnight, Director, Human Resources Advisory Services (UBCV)
- Pauline Brandes, Director, Human Resources (UBCO)
- Angela Redish, Provost and Vice-President Academic pro tem Professor, Economics, Office of the Vice-President, Academic (UBCV)
- Hugh Brock, Designate, Office of the Vice President, Academic (UBCV)
- Jennifer Love, Senior Advisor on Women Faculty, Office of the Vice President, Academic (UBCV)
- Louise Cowin, Vice President Students, Office of the Vice President, Students (UBCV)
- Janet Teasdale, Designate, Office of the Vice President, Students (UBCV)
- Deborah Buszard, Deputy Vice Chancellor & Principal, Deputy Vice Chancellor & Principal Office (UBCO)
- Ian Cull, Designate, Deputy Vice Chancellor & Principal Office (UBCO)
- Hubert Lai, University Counsel, Office of the University Counsel (UBCV)
- Kimberley Beck, Designate, Office of the University Counsel (UBCV)
- Henry Yu, Principal (on leave 16/17), St. Johns College (UBCV)
- Mary Bryson, Senior Associate Dean, Administration & Innovation, Faculty of Education, Language and Literacy Education (UBCV)
- Gurdeep Parhar, Clinical Assistant Professor, Family Practice and Executive Associate Dean, Clinical Partnerships and Professionalism, Faculty of Medicine (UBCV)
- Shirley Nakata, Ombudsperson for Students, Office of the Ombudsperson for Students (UBCV)
- Linc Kesler, Director & Senior Advisor to the President on Aboriginal Affairs, and Associate Professor, First Nations Studies Program and English, First Nations House of Learning, First Nations and Indigenous Studies Program (UBCV)
- Adrienne Vedan, Director, AVP Students, Aboriginal Programs & Services (UBCO)
- Allison Matacheskie, Director of Faculty Relations, Faculty Relations (UBCV)
- Janet Mee, Director, Access & Diversity (UBCV)
- Shehnaz Motani, Research Awards Officer, Research Services (UBCV)
- David Lance, President (CUPE 116) (UBCV)
- Alison Munro, Associate Director, Teaching, Learning & Research Office, UBC Sustainability Initiative (UBCV)
- Nancy Vered, Director of Administration, Finance & Operations, Chemistry (UBCV)
- Miranda Huron, Program Manager, Ch’nook Indigenous Business Education, Sauder School of Business | AAPS Board of Directors (UBCV)
- Margot Young, Associate Professor, Allard School of Law | Delegate, Faculty Association (UBCV)
- Handel Wright, Professor, Chair, CCIE, Educational Studies, Network of Centres and Institutes in Education (UBCV)
- Shirley Chau, Health & Social Development, Social Work (UBCO)
- Ashok Mathur, Head of Creative Studies, Creative Studies (UBCO)
- Susana Caxaj, Assistant Professor, School of Nursing (UBCO)
- Francine Burning, Ph.D Candidate (UBCV)
- Isuru Gamalath, Ph.D Student (UBCO)
To create a structural model that is flexible and responsive to the needs of the UBC community, the Committee will form Working Groups relevant to specific strategic initiatives and recommendations identified in reports and plans. The mandate of the Working Groups is to create action-oriented recommendations to the Committee on the implementation of strategic initiatives.
On the advice of the Committee, the AVP will invite subject matter experts from across both campuses to join the Working Groups. A Chair will be identified who will sit as a member of the Committee for the duration of the life of the Working Group. A member of the Equity and Inclusion Office will support each Working Group and provide administrative and research support.
Terms of Reference
- Trans, Two-Spirit and Gender Diversity Working Group Terms of Reference (September 27, 2016)
- Race & Leadership Working Group Terms of Reference (October 5, 2016)
- Trans, Two-Spirit and Gender Diversity Working Group Recommendations (September 27, 2016)
- Approved Recommendation by VPSICED (October 5, 2016)
- Race & Leadership Working Group Recommendations (January 30, 2017)
- Summary of Responses to the Recommendations of the Trans, Two-Spirit and Gender Diversity Working Group
- Employment Equity Data 2016
- Representation of Senior and Mid Managers by Designated Equity Group – Suppressed (October 2016)