University officials learned that the pride rainbow flag raised at the opening ceremony for OUTweek on February 5, was burned sometime over the Family Day long weekend. The flag was located at the Flagpole Plaza between the old Student Union Building and Brock Hall. Campus Security and the University detachment of the RCMP are conducting an investigation.
UBC condemns this incident as an act of hate and in contravention of the values of equity, inclusion and respect deeply held by the university community. UBC fully supports OUTweek 2016 which is an annual celebration of gender and sexual diversity organized each year by the AMS club Pride Collective at UBC with support from UBC units including the Equity and Inclusion Office.
The pride rainbow flag is raised as a symbol of support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans* (transgender, transsexual, trans-identified), two-spirit, queer, questioning, intersex and asexual (LGBT*TQIA+) students, faculty, and staff on campus.
Most OUTweek activities are scheduled to continue this week and the AMS is providing additional supports and resources to attendees and organizers. The university encourages student initiatives such as OUTweek as they provide a supportive and inclusive environment for students to explore topics around gender and sexual identity.
Angela Redish, Provost and Vice President Academic pro tem
Lisa Castle, Vice President, Human Resources
Louise Cowin, Vice President, Students
Sara-Jane Finlay, Associate Vice President, Equity and Inclusion
If you are concerned about this incident or are looking for support please refer to the resources below.
Resources for Students
- Pride Collective at UBC, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) Tel: (604) 827-5180
- Counselling Services, 604.822.3811
- Student Health Service, 604.822.7011
- Campus Security, 604.822.2222
- Crisis Centre BC, 1.800.SUICIDE (1.800.784.2433)
Resources for Faculty and Staff
- Employee and Family Assistance program (EFAP) Care Access Centre: 1-800-387-4765)
- Supporting a Respectful Environment at UBC
- Bullying & Harassment Prevention
- Mental Health Resources
- Positive Space Campaign Training
- Equity & Inclusion Office: http://equity.ok.ubc.ca/ and http://equity.ubc.ca/